L-8 Memories of Childhood MCQs for a better understanding Text-Vistas

 Multiple Choice Questions based on an extract.

A I cried aloud, shaking my head all the while until I felt the cold blades of the scissors

against my neck, and heard them gnaw off one of my thick braids. Then I lost my spirit.

Since the day I was taken from my mother I had suffered extreme indignities. People

had stared at me. I had been tossed about in the air like a wooden puppet. And now

my long hair was shingled like a coward’s! In my anguish I moaned for my mother, but

no one came to comfort me. Not a soul reasoned quietly with me, as my own mother

used to do; for now I was only one of many little animals driven by a herder.

i ‘Then I lost my spirit’. Choose the option that DOES NOT refer to ‘spirit’.

1. resolve

2. energy

3. determination

4. indifference

5. enthusiasm

6. will power

a) 1, 2 and 5

b) 2, 4 and 6

c) 1, 3 and 6

d) 3, 4 and 6


ii How would you describe the author’s tone when she says, “I was only one of many

little animals driven by a herder”?

a) austere

b) apathetic

c) dismal

d) resentful

iii Choose the correct option with reference to the two statements given below.

Statement 1: The author had been subjected to humiliation when she was separated

from her mother.

Statement 2: Nobody was able to ease her distress and empathise with her.

a) Statement 1 is true but Statement 2 is false.

b) Statement 1 is false but Statement 2 is true.

c) Both Statement 1 and Statement cannot be inferred from the passage

d) Both Statement 1 and Statement 2 can be inferred from the passage.


B When I heard this, I didn’t want to laugh any more, I felt terribly sad. How could they

believe that it was disgusting if one of us held that package in his hands, even though

the vadai had been wrapped first in a banana leaf, and then parcelled in paper? I felt

so provoked and angry that I wanted to touch those wretched vadais myself

straightaway. Why should we fetch and carry for these people, I wondered. Such an

important elder of ours goes meekly to the shops to fetch snacks and hands them

reverently, bowing and shrinking, to this fellow who just sits there and stiffs them into

his mouth. The thought of it infuriated me.

i The elder handing snacks reverently, bowing and shrinking to the fellow indicates that

the ‘fellow’ was

1. condescending.

2. unassuming.

3. submissive.

4. disdainful.

5. aggressive

6. domineering.

a) 2, 3 and 6

b) 1, 4 and 5

c) 1, 4 and 6

d) 2, 3 and 4

ii Pick an idiom that DOES NOT describe how the author felt about this incident.

a) at the end of one’s tether

b) be in a black mood

c) up in arms

d) throw up one’s hands

iiiThe given extract DOES NOT talk about

a) author’s realisation of her misconception.

b) elders being ill-treated in her society.

c) the haughtiness of the ‘fellow’.

d) how the author was enraged. 


Stand Alone MCQs

i The chapter ‘We Too are Human Beings’ is __________ the book named ‘Karukku’ by

Bama.

a) a preface to

b) the blurb for

c) an excerpt from

d) the foreword of

ii “Among our people, short hair was worn by mourners, and shingled hair by cowards!”

This statement is an example of

a) a belief

b) an opinion

c) a myth

d) a fallacy

iii In the light of the following statement, choose the option that lists the characteristics of

Zitkala-Sa.

“No I will not submit! I will struggle first!”

1. servile

2. audacious

3. cocky

4. brash

5. resolute

6. gutsy

a) 1, 2 and 5

b) 2, 5 and 6

c) 1, 3 and 5

d) 2, 4 and 6

iv “At times, people from various political parties would arrive put up a stage and

harangue us through their mikes.” In which of the following options is the word

‘harangue’ NOT used correctly?

a) The director would often harangue his employees.

b) The professor had no right to harangue by the student.

c) The harangue of the student was applauded by the audience.

d) As the man moved closer, he began to harangue uncontrollably.



Q3
A. i. (c) ) ii. (c) iii. (d)
B. i.(c) ii. (d) iii. (b)
Q5
 i.(c) ii. (a) iii. (b) iv. (c)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CBSE CLASS 12 QUESTION BANK 'THE LAST LESSON' MCQs with answers

CBSE CLASS X GRAMMAR ( WITH ANSWERS)

CBSE Practice Question 12 ........Direct Indirect Speech( Dialogue with answers)