CLASS 12 CBSE ... English literature with suggested response.. DIARY WRITING

 In the story, ‘The Third Level’ by Jack Finney, Charley is obsessed with finding the third level. 

In an attempt to thrash out whether this obsession is a good quality or a harmful one, Charley’s wife 

expresses her thoughts in a diary entry. 

As Louisa, Charley’s wife, write this diary entry. Support your response with reference to the story.

You may begin this way:

I have been married to Charley for a few years now and I have always known him to be an intelligent man with an 

imaginative mind. However, his recent obsession with finding the Third Level has …

OR

B A grown up Zitkala-Sa, reflects on the incident about cutting of her long hair and is conflicted that 

she did not do enough to resist and surrendered easily. She also wonders if she could have tried 

something else to prevent the incident. 

As the grown-up Zitkala-Sa, create a diary entry , expressing these thoughts and conclude by 

absolving yourself of any blame.

You may begin like this:

I find myself reflecting on an event that happened many years ago…

(Memories of Childhood



Suggested response :

I have been married to Charley for a few years now and I have always known him to be an 

intelligent man with an imaginative mind. However, his recent obsession with finding the 

Third Level has left me quite worried. While he talks about it with excitement, I cannot help 

but wonder if it is a good quality or a harmful one.

On one hand, Charley’s obsession displays his determination and persistence in achieving his 

goals. It shows that he is willing to go to great lengths to unravel the mysteries of life. His 

imagination and curiosity are admirable qualities that have always attracted me to him.

However, his obsession has caused him to become detached from reality. He is no longer able 

to differentiate between what is real and what is not. He spends all his time and money 

searching for a place that may not even exist. This could be harmful not only to himself but 

also to our family.

I understand that he feels overwhelmed by the stress and pressures of his present life and Sam 

indicated that he uses his obsession as a coping mechanism. I think this is harmful as it 

prevents him from addressing the underlying issues that are causing him stress. 

Furthermore, Charley’s obsession has caused him to neglect his responsibilities. He has been 

absent from work and has not been able to contribute financially to our household. His 

obsession is affecting our relationship, and I am afraid that if he continues on this path, it 

might lead to irreparable damage.

Finally, all I can say is , I believe that Charley’s obsession with finding the Third Level may have 

started as a harmless curiosity, but it has now become a harmful one. I love him dearly and I 

hope that he realizes that his obsession is affecting not only himself but also those around 

him.

OR

B Suggested response :

I find myself reflecting on an event that happened many years ago, one that has continued to 

haunt me ever since. It is the incident where my long hair was forcefully cut off at the Carlisle 

Indian School. As I sit here today, I cannot help but feel conflicted about my actions that day.

On one hand, I am proud that I stood up for myself and refused to submit to their demands 

at first. I remember the fire in my belly as I declared that I would struggle before giving in. 

However, as time passed, my spirit wavered, and eventually, I allowed them to cut my hair. 

Looking back now, I cannot help but feel that I gave in too easily, that I did not do enough to 

resist.

As I ponder over what I could have done differently, I realize that there might have been other 

options. Perhaps I could have sought help from my fellow students. Maybe I could have tried 

to escape or find another way out of the situation. But in that moment, I was so overwhelmed 

and confused that I could not think straight.

I know that I have blamed myself for this incident for far too long. But today, I choose to 

absolve myself of any blame. As a young girl, I forced into a strange place. I was not given the 

chance to make my own choices, to decide what was best for me. I was a victim of a system 

that sought to strip away my identity and forced me to assimilate.

Today, I choose to forgive myself and honour the brave little girl who stood up for herself 

that day. I am grateful for her courage and strength, and I will continue to honour her memory 

by fighting for justice and equality for all

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CBSE CLASS X GRAMMAR ( WITH ANSWERS)

CBSE CLASS 12 QUESTION BANK 'THE LAST LESSON' MCQs with answers

Class 12 CBSE Short Writing tasks With Answers